Plants You Should Never Bring In Your Home

 

We’ve all seen the pictures, and we know that plants can be a wonderful addition to any home. They’re aesthetically pleasing, they help purify our air, and they’re just plain nice to have around! But there are some plants you should never bring into your home, Plants with poisonous leaves or roots could harm anyone who touches them. There are also many plants that are toxic to consume which could be harmful to humans or especially your pets or children if they eat them. Here are the top plants you should never bring into your home and the reasons why!

English Ivy

This plant is a popular one because it can grow quickly and easily. However, this vine contains chemicals that will cause you to feel nauseous if ingested! If the vines are chewed on or touched, they can also irritate your skin. English Ivy also has the potential to damage your home and shrubbery, as it is known for climbing up surfaces and growing out of control.

Daffodils

These flowers are beautiful and harmless, but their leaves contain all sorts of toxic chemicals that can cause nausea or vomiting if ingested.  So avoid planting Daffodils in areas where pets or small children might be attracted to them! While it’s unlikely you would eat the poisonous part of a flower, it’s still better to be safe than sorry!

Foxglove

This one is a bit more dangerous. The leaves from the Foxglove plant can cause heart failure if ingested. And while you probably don’t have this growing outside your house, it’s important to keep an eye on any landscaping that may contain these plants and make certain they’re not accessible by anyone who could ingest them. People should also wear gloves when gardening with Foxgloves so no skin comes into contact with the toxins inside their leaves!

Poison Ivy

This one shouldn’t come as a surprise. Anyone who has ever suffered from contact dermatitis knows how dangerous this plant can be. Most people know not to bring any part of it into their homes! While poison ivy itself will not cause you physical harm if ingested (this would require an extremely high dose), touching the leaves or roots with exposed skin could leave you in agony with rashes all over your body that last for days at a time. So just avoid Poison Ivy entirely, both outside and inside your home!

Azaleas

These plants are a favorite of many people, but they contain a chemical called grayanotoxin. This toxin can cause dizziness and vomiting if ingested in large quantities. It is even more toxic when dried out. So while you may not have any problem eating the leaves or flowers occasionally, bringing them into your home could pose some problems for someone who doesn’t know the rules about Azalea consumption. If you do want to keep these around indoors, make sure there isn’t any way that small children could get their hands on these poisonous parts!

Lilies

Lilies have been known as one of the most dangerous plants in existence because nearly every part contains toxins that will irritate human skin! Even small doses taken orally could lead to poisoning so serious that death is possible. So don’t bring these into your home either! They are especially harmful during pregnancy or if you have a compromised immune system.

Castor Beans

Castor beans are extremely dangerous both inside and outside your home. If consumed they can cause nausea or vomiting; even touching them with exposed skin will leave blisters all over the place. Ingesting just one bean has enough ricin in it to kill an adult! It might not sound harmful at first glance, but don’t be tricked–avoid Castor Beans both inside and out.

English Yew

This plant is also called the European Yew, which should give you a clue as to why it’s best avoided! While all parts of this tree are poisonous, they contain compounds that could cause your nervous system to shut down if ingested. So while it’s unlikely you’ll ingest any part of the tree by accident, this is one plant that you should just avoid altogether for your safety!

Hemlock

Hemlock contains three different types of poison within its leaves and roots; ingesting any part can lead to nausea or vomiting. Eating just one leaf will kill an adult human being pretty quickly. You probably won’t have time before passing out from the effects! It may not sound too dangerous at first, but Hemlock is a plant you should avoid at all costs.

Eucalyptus

This tree might look harmless, but it contains oils that can cause skin irritation when exposed to the sun! If consumed by children or pets, eucalyptus leaves can be extremely harmful so this plant should never be brought inside your home. If anyone in your family has an allergy to sunlight (or even complains of burning or itching after spending time outside), you may want to keep them away from Eucalyptus trees as well.

Common Yarrow

This plant is also known as Achillea Millefolium, and that’s exactly how many potential reasons you have to avoid it! All parts of the yarrow contain chemicals that can cause vomiting or diarrhea if ingested. Just touching them can irritate your skin enough for blisters to form. While not likely fatal when eaten in small doses, Common Yarrow is still best kept outside where pets or children won’t accidentally eat any part of this dangerous plant!

Snake Plant

This plant is known as Sansevieria Trifasciata and looks like a pretty, harmless addition to any home…but don’t be fooled! This one contains chemicals that can cause vomiting or diarrhea if ingested; even touching the leaves with exposed skin could leave you in pain for hours (or longer). While symptoms are mild for humans, they can be very toxic to pets so if you have any in your home, be sure to keep this one out of the way.

Mistletoe

This holiday favorite is a popular decoration around Christmas time…but it’s also extremely poisonous! While small doses won’t necessarily kill someone directly from eating these berries, they can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea so just avoid them entirely for everyone’s safety. Remember that Mistletoe Berries are white, so if you’re not 100% sure what kind of plant you have on your door or walls during December, play it safe and keep all mistletoe away from children and pets who might mistake those shiny white berries for candy!

Conclusion

There are so many plants you can choose to bring into your home, but it’s important to remember that some of them are poisonous or dangerous in other ways! While there’s nothing inherently wrong with these plants, it’s best to just avoid them altogether for your safety and the safety of those around you (children, pets) who might not have full control over their actions.